Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Journal #2

Dialect Rules
1. Words like "bro, man, and dude" are constantly used
2. Phrases indicating who is saying what are not included
3. "Nah" will be used instead of "no"
4. Verbs ending in -ing will be turned into -in'
5. Incorrect verb tenses are used
6. "this" and "that" are changed to "dis" and "dat"
7. Many words are shortened. For example, "cuz" instead of "because" or "fo'" instead of "for"

Structure of P. 43
Valentine's Day was quickly approaching and Johnny was in a desperate need of money for a gift.
"Come on, man! We've been friends fo' ten years now. Just let me borrow twenty dollars and I promise to get yo' money back next week."
"Nah bro, I've been savin' up fo' a new car. I can't man."
"Dude, you know I really like dat girl. I have to get a nice gift fo' her. Dat ring we saw was only fifty dollars! I be desperate right now bro."
Still unconvinced, Johnny's friend was unwilling to give up a single penny. This year's Valentine's Day was looking quite sad for Johnny.
"Man, I be gettin' barely enough money to feed myself cuz of dat boss of mine. You may be desperate fo' dat ring, but I be desperate fo' a car."
Hopeless and done trying, Johnny left the house and walked aimlessly down the road. The thought of showing up to the special date without a gift saddened him greatly. He took a deep look into himself, asking why he was never able to successfully get a task done. At the sound of footsteps approaching him, Johnny awoke from his mind and found his friend running towards him.
"Hey man, here's twenty dollars. Go get dat ring. It's waitin' fo' you bro"
"You really givin' dis to me? I appreciate man. I knewed you understand. I promise to get yo' money back in a week. I promise."

No comments:

Post a Comment